Saturday, October 28, 2006

I thought I was a good dad...but I suck.


I try to be a good father...but next to Dick Hoyt, I suck.

Meet Dick Hoyt. This is he and I in Hawaii. The reason I got to meet him is because I attended the 2006 Liberty Conference with Liberty League. He and his son, Dick, were at our event and then they were competing in an Iron Man competition.

So, what's the big deal? Simple? Dick (his son) has cerebral palsy and is in a wheelchair. But, when he was a child he got the idea that he wanted to participate in a benefit run to raise money for another child who was sick. His dad had never run more than a mile in his life....but he and Dick entered the race and Dick pushed him in his wheelchair.

When they got home, Dick typed on his computer, "Dad, when we're running, I feel like I'm not disabled".

That was 911 events ago.
206 Triathalons
20 Duathalons
60 Marathons
and dozens of 20k runs, half-marathons, Iron Mans, etc.

All because his son doesn't feel disabled when he and his dad are running.

I can't put it into words. Their participation in the 2006 Liberty Conference changed thousands of lives. And they will change yours if you let them.

Watch the video below and see for yourself. Have some tissues handy.


Or if having problems with the video above you can click here.

Absolutely amazing,
Tony Rush
Summit Advisor, LLI
http://www.libertyleague.com/start

Dick and Rick onstage at the Hilton Waikoloa Village in Hawaii

No comments: